[rescue] ss2 under load

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Feb 14 23:13:09 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 22:37:59 (-0500), Brian Hechinger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] ss2 under load
>
> Penn State, circa 1990, VAX 11/750 running BSD, load average of between 100 and
> 150 depending on what part of the day it was.  it worked just as well then as
> when the load average was 2.  seriously.  slow, but consistantly slow.

Yeah, but when the load average was under 1 then it was a lot faster.

That's the problem with all the linux weenies complaining that their
systems are doggedly slow when the load average gets above 2.  It's not
really that they're actually doggedly slow -- they're just so
unaccustomed to the reasonable speed of a machine under the load of more
than one user that they don't realise everything's normal!  :-) :-) ;-)

(of course then there were the looser business students that kept
hogging our PDP 11/60 to do batched WATBOL assignments and the idiots
would run batch queue check commands in while :; do loops!!!)

--
								Greg A. Woods