[rescue] Sendmail.cf - stripping X-headers

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Thu Feb 14 23:02:19 CST 2002

It's rumored that around Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 11:30:20PM -0500
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:
> Folks-
>
> I'd like to strip the X-blah headers out of mail leaving a machine on my
> internal network.  The mail comes into the box by SMTP (sendmail) and goes
> out the same way.  I don't care whether it strips the X-blah headers off
> incoming mail or not.
>
> Does anyone know off the top of their heads what magic I can insert into
> sendmail.cf to do this?  I'm using the sendmail that came with Solaris 7,
> with a largely default configuration; what changes I've made I made directly
> to sendmail.cf.

Hmmm.  never encountered this.  off the top of my head, no, I don't see
anything easy on this.  your MTA generally just appends to
headers..doesn't really muck with them unless you're masq'ing.  I don't
think this functionality exists without doing the hack macro.

w/o knowing what your overall goal is i can't suggest alternatives..but
i'd instinctively say do it at your MUA not the MTA.  sendmail is just
to send and receive, if ya wanna handle the X-bleh stuff let your
delivery agent or MUA do the proper things.

^D