[rescue] ss2 under load

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Feb 14 11:30:02 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 03:29:59 (-0500), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] ss2 under load
>
> I've heard for years that SPARCs hold up better to heavy loads than intel
> machines do, but I've never had a chance to test this till now.
>
> Currently, my SS2 is compiling some stuff, and in doing so it now has a load
> average of 4.  On my intel file server, when the load average gets this high,
> it is sluggish as all get out, and I'm am trying to kill processes to keep
> it from crashing.  This sparc on the other hand is still perfectly responsive.

As Sun systems go the SS2 isn't even particularly good at remaining
responsive under heavy load, at least not with any release version of
NetBSD (-current is much better though -- close to SunOS again!)

Of course the more disks you have and the faster they are, and the more
memory you have, the better the system will work overall.

--
								Greg A. Woods