[rescue] ss2 under load

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Thu Feb 14 04:51:34 CST 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 03:29:59AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> I've heard for years that SPARCs hold up better to heavy loads than
> intel machines do, but I've never had a chance to test this till now.
>
> Currently, my SS2 is compiling some stuff, and in doing so it now has
> a load average of 4.  On my intel file server, when the load average
> gets this high, it is sluggish as all get out, and I'm am trying to
> kill processes to keep it from crashing.  This sparc on the other hand
> is still perfectly responsive.

I usually have batch compiles running in the back and a small sheaf of
daemons. Just for fun (though I do try to get something remotely useful
done). It indeed does handle well as long as I don't renice anything to
below-zero. Then other stuff starts getting time pretty rarely.