[rescue] SGI, MIPS, and IA-64

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 14 09:29:41 CST 2002

Saw this on theregister.co.uk:
which includes links to SGI's latest PR on the R14k.

Essentially it's confirmation of things that various folks
on the list (other than myself) were saying--that SGI
does intend to keep pushing the MIPS line and has
"de-emphasized" the IA-64 (along with more-or-less
everyone else out there...).  The last time the topic
came up I repeated the party line I had heard from
SGI...but it looks as though the tune's a little
different now.

Maybe prices on older Onyx boxen will continue to
drop to the < $1000 level...nah, probably not soon.
(Is that really Sridhar bidding on the one in Arlington
VA?)  At least it's official that MIPS isn't dead.

  --Rip