[rescue] FSCKing OpenBSD!

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Feb 13 23:57:40 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, February 13, 2002 at 22:07:13 (-0500), Torquil MacCorkle III wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] FSCKing OpenBSD!
>
> SMP on FreeBSD 4.x is vastly inferior to most SMP implementations including
> Linux's, the difference between 'working' and 'working well' :)

It's actually not that bad.  While everyone uses the "single kernel
lock" euphemism to describe how both Linux and FreeBSD currently do SMP,
nothing could be further from the truth.  Both have quite a few separate
kernel interlocks, though there are still some central locks that a lot
of code paths traverse and thus still a lot of lock contention.

If you've got two CPUs burning current on your motherboard it seems the
FreeBSD SMP is almost always better (in terms of increasing overall
system throughput under general computing loads) than no SMP.  On the
other hand people have complained of Linux SMP actually causing their
machines to have lower overall throughput, though I don't know exactly
what kinds of computing loads they were trying to push through....

--
								Greg A. Woods