[rescue] FSCKing OpenBSD!

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Feb 13 22:13:18 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 10:49:01PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> Look, I can secure NetBSD just as well as OpenBSD.
> This is just not something I wanted to spend a lot of time on.
> However, I can spend less time securing this box than it would take me to
> screw around with trying to get bind-8.3.2 to build on OpenBSD.
>
> > > .gz and 'make clean' and start over (yes, the MD5 is OK).  Kernel panic.
> > > : |
> > You have bad RAM in your system or some other weirdness.
> > I have built (from the OBSD3.0 CDROM + ports) BIND8, no problem.
>
> nope, Tatung Compstation40.  works just fine under NetBSD.

I just compiled Bind8.2.5 from ports, no problem, on an SS10-SM51
combo.  Can't get much more stock than that.  Installed the OS from
OpenBSD 3.0 CDROM.

The 40 is an SS2 clone, right?

I may owe you an apology, in that I have seen some weirdness in IPC
and IPX's when running OpenBSD on those.

The bug seems to be tickled by certain memory configurations, since
each bank is mapped into a different range of virtual addresses and
those virtual addresses are not contiguous (IIRC). In fact with one
RAM config under 2.8 I could not get the floppy to successfully boot.

Mea culpa.

./patrick