[rescue] Re: Re: FSCKing OpenBSD!

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Feb 13 21:45:58 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> get a job in the real world knowing 4.3 BSD.  so i took a look at
> Solaris.  it was out there, and it was taking over in a big way.  i
> spent the time when everyone was trying to resist it learning it, and
> when it finally won over, i was ready to go.  i do like Solaris, don't
> get me wrong, it's an excellent OS, but yeah, you don't see a whole
> lot of BSD in production.  but BSD needs to reach the scalability that
> Solaris has, which is probably one of the reasons Solaris is still
> king of the Production World.

I've heard of a couple of kick-ass applications of FreeBSD (Hotmail,
ftp.cdrom.com in the old days) and a lot of production applications of
Solaris. Personally I started on SunOS 4.1.3 on an overloaded SS2 in
Denver, moved into Linux and some Solaris, and added FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
NetBSD, Tru64, and a few others. I use a few of them daily. But I was
hired for my ability to make Solaris work... the rest is just gravy. Mmmm,
Crystal Gravy.

I have a firewall at a client site now that's FreeBSD 4.5, just because it
has a weird SCSI chipset onboard and the first OpenBSD floppy I tried
didn't support it. I'm replacing it with an OpenBSD one soon. Ultra160
SCSI is a waste for a firewall, but it was the box I had handy. Got a new
IDE one with two NICs (1U box) so I'll probably move to it and reclaim the
3-bay 1U SCSI box for something else.

> > Is there any chance that we'll ever eradicate the blind OS flamewars here?
>
> it took me a while to accept the fate of humanity, but the answer is no.  the
> blind flamewars are here to stay.  they have existed for a VERY long time now,
> and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.  plus, it's a personality type
> that is found in most males.  my Chevy is better than your Ford.

Probably. My Ford is a 1988 Aerostar van, mainly intended to drag stuff to
and from swap meets/junk shops/auctions. My Ford has done a lot more for
me than your Chevy has, although if you want to help me move stuff from my
old storage unit to my new one in your Chevy, let me know and I'll arrange
the beer for afterward.

--Rob