[rescue] Re: FSCKing OpenBSD!

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Wed Feb 13 21:22:35 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 07:20:04PM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:

> it's on many more production servers than any *BSD. Does that mean it's
> less popular? Hey, it even has its own pile of blindly flaming bigot twit
> fans like every other OS.

HEY!  I resemble that remark!!

seriously, i started out on BSD.  4.3 Tahoe was what i used ALL the time because
it ROCKS.  i loved it.  i still do.  it's my favorite OS ever.  however, i had
a choice to make.  BSD thrived in universities, but i wanted a real job.  sure
i loved my job at the local U, but i wanted something more.  but i found that
it was nearly impossible to get a job in the real world knowing 4.3 BSD.  so
i took a look at Solaris.  it was out there, and it was taking over in a big
way.  i spent the time when everyone was trying to resist it learning it, and
when it finally won over, i was ready to go.  i do like Solaris, don't get me
wrong, it's an excellent OS, but yeah, you don't see a whole lot of BSD in
production.  but BSD needs to reach the scalability that Solaris has, which
is probably one of the reasons Solaris is still king of the Production World.

> Is there any chance that we'll ever eradicate the blind OS flamewars here?

it took me a while to accept the fate of humanity, but the answer is no.  the
blind flamewars are here to stay.  they have existed for a VERY long time now,
and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.  plus, it's a personality type
that is found in most males.  my Chevy is better than your Ford.

> They aren't doing anybody any good, really.

they aren't there to help, they think they are, but they are wrong.

-brian