[rescue] Re: FSCKing OpenBSD!

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Feb 13 21:20:04 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> > I like FreeBSD on intel mainly because, being the most popular BSD(unless
> > you count OS-X), it has the most application support.... which apparently
> > is a good thing.
> >
> Whoops, check fire there...
> Take a look at NetBSD.
> it supports WAY more machines than FreeBSD, be careful before you make the
> mistake of calling FreeBSD 'more popular'.

So "more machines" means "more popular"? I'm beginning to feel myself
slipping toward the drug references here.

I think in the commercial application world, FreeBSD is more common and
more "popular" on the platforms it is released on than NetBSD or OpenBSD.
This is the point you are trying (and failing) to argue against.

I've heard of more high volume real-world servers that use FreeBSD than
use either of the other two.  Number of platforms doesn't equate with
popularity or pervasiveness. And no, one OS being more popular than
another in certain niches doesn't mean the others aren't good or usable.

Solaris runs on only two platforms (Intel and SPARC) these days, but I bet
it's on many more production servers than any *BSD. Does that mean it's
less popular? Hey, it even has its own pile of blindly flaming bigot twit
fans like every other OS.

And if you have evidence that the SMP support for Intel hardware in any
released version of NetBSD or OpenBSD is more mature or reliable than the
SMP support for Intel hardware in FreeBSD, I'd like to see it. I wouldn't
mind trying another BSD on this quad-Pentium 166 Dell I just got, but for
now it will probably get FreeBSD 4.5.

Is there any chance that we'll ever eradicate the blind OS flamewars here?
They aren't doing anybody any good, really.

Rob