[rescue] FSCKing OpenBSD!

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Wed Feb 13 21:04:43 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:58:29PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:

> My solution was to use the hardware I had at hand (shitloads of intel
> boxen at work, already in existance, no $$$) to do what I needed to
> do (nfs server, mail servers, etc).  It worked better than NetBSD
> did, from an admin and control freak level than netbsd did.  I've
> also found FreeBSD to be much more responsive at high loads (30.0+)
> via ssh.  All of this is especially true on SMP machines.  SMP and
> FreeBSD Just Works(TM).  I'll admit I've not used FreeBSD on FDDI
> machines yet (and compiling a kernel is the FIRST think I do on any
> box so I don't care whats in GENERIC, George), but I'm sure the
> FreeBSD netgraph stuff w/ FDDI would be FUN.  In using netbsd I've
> found the installer to be less helpful than the FreeBSD one.  I've
> also found that freebsd likes my hardware (newer VIA/Intel chipsets)
> better than netbsd does.

i was just being an ass, however, i've spent a lot of time and effort over the
last 10 years to build myself into a position where i don't have to work with
PC hardware if i don't want to.  so i don't.  but in the rare instances where
i do have to run it, i choose FreeBSD.  although i've run NetBSD on PC and had
no trouble also.  but it's so rare, i honestly can't judge the difference
between them.  they both run well.

-brian