[rescue] FSCKing OpenBSD!

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Wed Feb 13 20:58:29 CST 2002

>On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:26:06PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:
>>  >  > What kind of box is it?  Freebsd works wonders on intel.
>>  >
>>  >So does NetBSD.  Smaller default footprint too.
>>
>>  I've found FreeBSD to Just Work (TM) better than NetBSD does on intel boxen.
>
>i've found NetBSD to Just Work better on non-intel than NetBSD on intel boxen.
>
>my solution was to use the superior hardware and avoid intel. :)

My solution was to use the hardware I had at hand (shitloads of intel
boxen at work, already in existance, no $$$) to do what I needed to
do (nfs server, mail servers, etc).  It worked better than NetBSD
did, from an admin and control freak level than netbsd did.  I've
also found FreeBSD to be much more responsive at high loads (30.0+)
via ssh.  All of this is especially true on SMP machines.  SMP and
FreeBSD Just Works(TM).  I'll admit I've not used FreeBSD on FDDI
machines yet (and compiling a kernel is the FIRST think I do on any
box so I don't care whats in GENERIC, George), but I'm sure the
FreeBSD netgraph stuff w/ FDDI would be FUN.  In using netbsd I've
found the installer to be less helpful than the FreeBSD one.  I've
also found that freebsd likes my hardware (newer VIA/Intel chipsets)
better than netbsd does.

daniel