[rescue] Why yes, I AM stupid (long)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 13 12:52:10 CST 2002

> So, unless someone can tell me they're great at fixing up
> screwed up pins
> in a UPA connector, I'm in need of another creator card.  A
> 2d is all I'm
> replacing, but a reasonable priced 3d card wouldn't be turned away.

Kurt--
I've had good luck with one particular screwdriver I have--I
just fixed two bent pins on an (SBus) TGX card last week, that were
both bent all the way over and into the corner of the connector.
You'll need a steady hand, but it is do-able on a UPA connector as
well.  The trick seems to be then being *very* sure that the point
of the pin is properly aligned and using enough (but not too much)
force when putting the card back in--the TGX card had one pin
with a serious curve in it, but it did go back in correctly.
Good luck...you might as well try it before you blow money on
a replacement card.

If anyone *does* have extra C2D/C3D cards for cheap, please let
me know--particularly if anyone has a C3D Release 3 card that is
*known* to be capable of 1600x1200 (I have a C3D Release 3 card
that is a little too old--it depends on board/firmware revision,
as I discovered after the fact.  My 21" Sun monitor would like
1600x1200 loving...)

  --Rip