[rescue] woot

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Feb 13 12:33:24 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 05:51:43PM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >
> > / 50megs on a 2 gig drive
> > /var 1gig on the same 2 gig drive
> > /home 950megs on the same 2 gig drive
> > /usr 4gigs on 4.5 gig drive
> > /var/mail 500megs on 4.5gig drive
> >
> > /opt, /bin, etc will be symbolic links to /usr.
>
> /bin  -- isn't that where you find all the utilities that you use to help
> rescue the disk when your other partitions die and you can't mount /usr?!

My Ultra1 came with an existing install of Solaris8, and on in /bin was a
symlink to /usr/bin, but it is one large partition.  I had assumed that this
was the way solaris does it by default.  If not, /bin is usually small, so it
would be worth putting in / I guess, even if I have to enlarge / a little.

> > Oh, this machine will be a Solaris8 box (grumble, people who don't make
> > software that works on solaris/sparc64 and netbsd/i386 but not netbsd/sparc64).
>
> Debian?  (sparc32 userland with a sparc64 kernel).
>
> Besides, Solaris seems to dump all of its stuff in places that *aren't* /usr.

I plan to install the gcc package long enough to recompile gcc, then remove
the package and install everything else myself, so where ever solaris would
usually put things isn't really much of an issue, except, maybe I would also
install XIL, if it can be used without X.

Debian isn't really an option because a lot of the packages I want to install
aren't compiled with GCC and don't support linux/sparc[32|64].  For instance,
I'm thinking of making cl-http the main httpd, and otherwise usuing lisp
extensively.  Well, maybe I will go with apache and mod_lisp.  I haven't
decided yet.  Which ever I do, I can still set it to redirect some pages
to the other server.

--
Joshua D. Boyd