[rescue] woot

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Feb 13 00:15:35 CST 2002

I just finished mounting a 4.5gig barracude in the CD-Rom bay of an Ultra1.
It fits and works nicely (well, it is only a narrow interface but, otherwise).

So, partition wise on this machine, I'm thinking:
/ 50megs on a 2 gig drive
/var 1gig on the same 2 gig drive
/home 950megs on the same 2 gig drive
/usr 4gigs on 4.5 gig drive
/var/mail 500megs on 4.5gig drive

/opt, /bin, etc will be symbolic links to /usr.  The one things I'm wondering
about is if I should make /usr a symlink to /home/usr or something like that
and make it one large partition.  Thing is, I won't really know how well my
partition scheme is until the box is in use, and it won't be in use until
it will be too late to easily redo the partitions.

Also, with a scheme like this, how would it be best to add say a 9 gig drive
for userdata and mail usage later when 6 gigs starts to be too small?

See, on my own machines, I've usually used a large / partition for everything
but user data, then had /home/$username be a symlink to /export/$username, or
had /home be a second drive.  For home machines, worrying about mail
overflowing or logs overflowing just isn't a problem.

Oh, this machine will be a Solaris8 box (grumble, people who don't make
software that works on solaris/sparc64 and netbsd/i386 but not netbsd/sparc64).

--
Joshua D. Boyd