[rescue] Even more free stuff

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Feb 12 20:52:37 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:35:44PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On February 12, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > (yes, she's cute, but FOR GOD'S SAKE she's only 14!) I'll consider it.
> >
> > Up here in PA, that is legal marrying age[1].  But, I'll shut up since I
> > want your V rack.
> > [1] With parental consent, and the spouse becomes the legal guardian until
> > age 18.
>
>   Why do you know so much about this, Josh? ;)

My bad.  I checked and it appears that in the '80s they raised the age to 16.
2 years isn't too long for a courtship, but again I should now quickly shutup.

Wait a minute, wrong again.  You can be less than 16 with the consent of a
legal guardian and the written approval of a judge of the Orphan's Court
Division of the Court of Common Pleas.

In any case, it appears that if your wife doesn't disagree with you, then
you are safe until she is 18, in this state at least.

Down in MD though, it appears that the parental bit can be gotten around
with a note from a Doctor.  So, you might need those shotguns after all.

This information is gathered from government websites, BTW.

Won't she feel special to know we are discussing marriage requirements in
response to her?  Really, somedays I wonder what people would think if they
just stumbled over the archives out of the blue.

And to answer Dave's question, for some reason it seems to keep coming up
as a topic at school.  Until recently, people very often got married young
around here.  More than a few people I know had their parents married when the
parents were still minors.  That probably isn't why the topic comes up though,
but I don't remeber why it does.

--
Joshua D. Boyd