[rescue] RS/6000 board ID

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Mon Feb 11 22:18:09 CST 2002

   I just acquired a 7012-390, an older MCA-based RS/6000. It came with
a 52G4735 memory board filled with 16M SIMMs, a 40H6717 CPU (apparently
a 67MHz POWER2, with an empty L2 cache slot), a 11H8607 "3-1" 8-port async
card (sans octopus, sadly), a 32H3975 thingy, a 93H1527 "1-E" graphics
card (possibly a GTX150, has a 13W3), and a "2-1" 3Com ethernet card (in
addition to the built-in riser ethernet). It has a floppy, CD-ROM, and a
tape drive. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the bracket for internal hard
drives at all, but since I don't need the tape drive I can probably put a
disk in that bay.

   You can see a pic of the guts of the system at
http://www.picarefy.com/jwbirdsa/transient/Image030.jpg. What I'd really
like to identify is the 32H3975 thingy
(http://www.picarefy.com/jwbirdsa/transient/Image031.jpg and
http://www.picarefy.com/jwbirdsa/transient/Image032.jpg). I don't even
recognize the connectors! I'm pretty sure that if I have no idea what it
is, I probably don't need it, so I'm open to offers or trades, especially
for an octopus for the async card or an L2 cache SIMM for this beastie.

   I also picked up a 87F4774 XGA-2 microchannel card. Please tell me the
390 can boot on this card and use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard? I'd love to
hook this one up to a KVM and run it headful.

   What is the best version of AIX to run on this, and where do I get a
copy?

   Thanks!

   --James B.

P.S. For grins, I have created a Computer Packrat Purity Test which you
can find at http://www.siliconsamsara.org/purity.html . I only score 60%
on my own test -- hopefully somebody can do better than that!