[rescue] SGI Video - PC Monitor

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Mon Feb 11 20:07:50 CST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, you wrote:
> Okay, when all else fails, I come to this list since the folks here seem to
> know something about everything.  So, here we go.
>
> I'm trying to get video on a SGI Indigo 2 working.  We've got a great
> connector and I'm sure it's putting out some sort of signal, but I need to
> figure out how to hook this up to a monitor.  I'd *like* to be able to hook
> it to a SVGA monitor, but I've been told by a local 'expert' at RE-PC in
> Tukwila, WA , that it's impossible to hook an SGI up to anything other than
> an SGI monitor.  Hmph.  Somehow I don't really believe that.  I'm sure I
> can hook it up to a Sony or some other monitor, perhaps even to a proper
> SVGA monitor.  Is this possible?  Do I just need a 13W3-HD15 converter?  If
> so, is there a particular one that it likes more than others?

This is not very hard to do if you have a monitor that can accept Sync-on-green
(SOG) I have had no problem running Sun 20E20's on the I^2 If you have a tube
that speaks SOG you should be able to get away with a simple 13W3 to HD15

> I'd love to be able to put the Indigo 2 on a KVM switch with the other PC's
> to save desk space on monitors.

If the tube speaks SOG this should work. I know somebody doing this presently

Mike N