[rescue] Re: Extinct IBM OSs

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 11 14:15:15 CST 2002

Actually, a lot of them use only the D channel of ISDN (9600 baud). It is
free (no usage meter), it is part of the X.25 network (believe it or not)
and its always up regardless of B channel status. The only thing the bank
pays for is the ISDN drop (~$40.00 / month in most markets).

I used to have over a hundred banks as networking customers and I saw all
kinds of ATM solutions. Another common ATM protocol is Burroughs Standard
Poll Select. There are also a ton of BiSync ATM's. Modems, ISDN, switched
56, DDS 56, and sub-rate multipoint services are the most common. I have
never seen T1. There is just no need of it unless you are talking about the
new "super ATM's" that have a web interface and provide shopping and stuff.
I haven't seen those anywhere but California and New York yet. I have seen
some ATM's that were ethernet, but they relied on an external router. Even
they didn't need much bandwidth, as I connected the routers with everything
from synchronous modems to 56K DDS. The coolest thing I did with a Poll
Select ATM customer was install routers with voice and video cards on 56K
DDS. The bank installed what is known in the business as a prison phone (all
stainless steel, no dialpad) and remote tilt/pan/zoom video cameras on the
ATM's. I programmed the voice as a PLAR line that rang in customer service
as soon as the handset was lifted. I thought it was a great idea, but the
bank nixed it after 10 ATM's were done.

Without a doubt, IBM, Burroughs (Unisys now) and some Banctec thingy are the
most common ATM systems. The manufacturers (mostly Diebold and NCR) are
system-independent. I did see an ancient IBM ATM once. It was soooo oooooold
it had what looked like a steel swiveling tank periscope viewer that you had
to peer into and it displayed a red flourecent dot-character display. I
doubt that thing was system-independent.