[rescue] Re: More fun with Indigo2

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 11 01:42:55 CST 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> >     Robert> Hi all, I found memory for my Indigo2 (4x32MB), got it
> >     Robert> hooked up, and I heard the boot chime... but nothing on
> >     Robert> the monitor, stays in yellow-LED powersave mode. It's an
>
> Make sure that the memory is full parity, and that is one of the sizes
> supported by the machine (densities of up to 32MB per simm are supported
> in earlier I2's). Also make sure you are installing 4 identical simms per
> bank, otherways the I2 will not boot. And the 1st bank should be the one
> furthest from the CPU module (i.e. by the edge of the motherboard).

Check on all points. These are identical Viking 32MB 72pin true parity
gold-contact simms, as close to the back of the box as possible.

> the i2 doesn't care if there is no mouse installed.

Didn't think so. I figured without a keyboard it would either flake out or
go to serial. However, with or without keyboard it gave me the bootup
chime and nothing beyond that.

> Also yor monitor should support sync on green, and at least 1280x1024 at 60

This is a Silicon Graphics/Sony GDM-17E11, which apparently does a max of
either 1152x870 or 1280x1024 depending on which website I believe, sync on
green. I will try to find another male-to-male video cable, or an
appropriate serial cable.

And yes, risk my life. I have a gravitational organization system. Seeing
as I haven't used an IPX or IPC in a year or more, my serial cables are
probably at the bottom of the piles, and I could find myself at great
peril (and not the Monty Python style) going too far down. :)

Thanks all for your continued help.

Rob