Extinct IBM OSs (was: Re: [rescue] Personal Progressions)

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sun Feb 10 19:39:25 CST 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > I read that OS/2 will as a matter of fact be going away soon, partly due to
> > not being fashionable, partly due to banks wishing to introduce multimedia
> > features into their machines (can't see why they'd want to do that, mind you).

>   Oh, I've read that about everything except Windows too.  It doesn't
> cost microsoft very much money to have some article run in a newspaper
> or a magazine stating that "XXX is about be replaced by windows blah
> blah blah" in order to manipulate the market.

>   I'll believe it when the machines actually start going away.

Heck, it's really funny to hear that about OS/2.  The trade press and
"everyone" has been announcing that OS/2 is dead as long as I've known
about it.

v2.1, warp, warp connect.  All of them has been "OS/2s last gasp".

The fact that I'm hearing this again says to me that OS/2 has more life
left in it than I thought it did.

--Kurt