Extinct IBM OSs (was: Re: [rescue] Personal Progressions)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Feb 10 18:53:15 CST 2002

On February 11, Iggy Drougge wrote:
> >  Indeed, there's an OS/2 machine on every desk at every Bank of America
> >branch that I've ever been in.  And many ATMs run OS/2.  Now mind you,
> >I'm not a huge fan of OS/2...but face it, it's all over the place, and
> >it won't be going away any time soon.
>
> I read that OS/2 will as a matter of fact be going away soon, partly due to
> not being fashionable, partly due to banks wishing to introduce multimedia
> features into their machines (can't see why they'd want to do that, mind you).

  Oh, I've read that about everything except Windows too.  It doesn't
cost microsoft very much money to have some article run in a newspaper
or a magazine stating that "XXX is about be replaced by windows blah
blah blah" in order to manipulate the market.

  I'll believe it when the machines actually start going away.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire