[rescue] Break signals [was: Booting from LOM?]

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Feb 10 18:03:31 CST 2002

>A break is a certain signal (low for a exceptional moment, don't
>remember about details. Pulling the cable out sends a break :-D )

You know, I've read this bit about pulling the cable sending a break
before, but always in relation to the Sun serial console.  I've _never_
seen it in the embedded world or with PC hardware.  Is there something
peculiar to the Sun hardware?  Did they add bias resistors to force the
line into an unusual state on purpose?

For what it's worth, I hot plug my serial console on IPX and SS2 machines
all the time, and I've yet to see 'em halt.  But I'm running OpenBSD and
NetBSD--maybe they don't listen for break signals.

newell