[rescue] SGI Video to SVGA Monitor Adapter

Dan Canaan flinters at picarefy.com
Sun Feb 10 12:27:38 CST 2002

I recently picked up an Indigo2 (R4400, 64Mb, 1.2Gb HD, XL graphics and the
option video board FHVJR  D9-I2V-TWO) and was hoping to have it hooked up
to an old Sony monitor with the separate RGB connections along with
vertical and horizontal syncs.  I couldn't find an appropriate cable.

 From what I've read online, I should be able to use any fairly modern SVGA
monitor that runs 1024x768 or greater non-interlaced.  That's pretty much
most monitors on the market.  I have one such monitor that I was using to
test a bunch of Personal Irises without issue.  Cool.

Connections appear to be the difficulty.  Looks like I need a 13W3 Male to
HD15 Female adapter to hook this SGI up to a PC monitor.

Sound right?  Or have I completely overlooked some sync on color issue that
will prevent this?

I hope to be able to get this machine to a prompt to see what is here.  No
OS, but I can put 5.1 on there since I have that available.  I'm really
curious about that optional video board.  The connectors are definately
proprietary for a dongle of some sort, probably for SVHS and composite
video sources.