[rescue] Personal Progressions

Iggy Drougge optimus at canit.se
Sat Feb 9 22:47:39 CST 2002

s skrev:

>Julius Sridhar wrote:

>> > Err, we were talking about an old Peecee.  Thus, it isn't such a stupid
>> > question.
>>
>> It's not even close to being your average everyday piece-o-shit PC.

>Indeed not. PS/2's rocked for the day. IBM was way ahead on this even
>considering the x86 processor. Just cuz the world wasn't ready to catch
>the MCA bus... It was 32-bit on the desktop.

It was still just a PC. A better PC than its predecessors, mind you, but it
still ran PC-DOS. And it was IBM-priced.

Don't get me wrong, I've got lots of PS/2s here, but they're still PCs, with a
lot of PC warts retained. If IBM really wanted to make a new PC, they could
really have gone for it and remove all the warts.

>Personally, I blame IBM for the failure of the technology, as I do for
>the death of OS/2 and AIX. IBM doesn't market its products, it markets
>itself. And as long as you know IBM's there, and working, it doesn't
>matter if it's AIX or Linux. Not to IBM anyway. I remember exactly one
>television commercial for OS/2 in my entire life. Lots of IBM ads for
>the Olympics a few years ago though, weren't there? And the deals to
>sell Windows on IBM peecees? What the hell was that? I have to admit,
>their philosophy worked in reverse on me. I think the company's a bunch
>of fucking suits who make just happen to make fantastic hardware and
>software.

Agreed. But you'll have to agree that Big Blue is a lot more tolerable when
it's been dwarfed by Billysoft.

BTW, there were lots of OS/2 TV ads in 1994-5, when Warp 3 was released. But
as soon as Win95 was released, IBM went very quiet.
I've always doubted their claims about being the world's most popular 32-bit
OS, mind you...

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

"If Linux were a beer, it would be shipped in open barrels so that anybody
could piss in it before delivery."
    -- Unknown