[rescue] Re: OpenBSD ISOs

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Feb 8 23:39:10 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 09:30:42PM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:

> Yeah, the layout is supposedly copyrighted (last I heard on the matter) to
> keep people from distributing ISO images and detracting from income from
> the purchase of official CDs.
>
> I usually just grab the appropriate dir with wget, something like:
>
> 	wget -nH -np -m -r ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.0/sparc/
>
> and mkisofs it myself. (And then when it shows up at my local shop, I buy
> it sometimes.)  Just put it under 3.0/{platform}/ in your image root and
> you can follow the install instructions to the letter. For SPARC and
> SPARC64 you don't have to have the El Torito magic like on Intel, so it
> should be fairly painless. I think most of the other non-Intel platforms
> can boot like that as well.

Can you point me to any more detailed directions on doing this?  I confess,
so far all my CD-RW usage has been done under Windows.  But, if I make
an ISO under linux, I can still burn it on a windows box.

My specific question is if I just put the files from the sparc directory in the
ISO's 3.0/sparc directory, how does the sun know what to use a kernel from the
CD when I try to boot from that CD?

--
Joshua D. Boyd