[rescue] window manager and keyboard

Iggy Drougge optimus at canit.se
Fri Feb 8 17:03:56 CST 2002

nate skrev:

>On 8 Feb 2002 21:48:44 +0100, "Iggy Drougge" muttered:

>The problem with PS/2 keyboards is that they've got Control in the wrong
>place, and Alt is transposed, and the modern ones have a lot of Windows
>keyboards which only cause distress when using Windows.
>Are there no PS/2 or AT keyboards with the keys in the right places?
>-----------

>Actually, I like the windows keys. Just fix the keycap and you get a
>meta key :) And on the right side you get a "hyper." I just switched to
>Sawfish on my FreeBSD box (if i ever finish installing gnu / gnome stuff
>on my SS20 I'll try it there too... check back in a month or so and it
>might be done :) and it understands the "windows" key just fine as a
>"meta" key! Since most unix stuff seems to only need ctrl and alt now
>days i use the windows key for all my windowmanager related stuff (like
>desktop switching) to keep my ctrl/alt free. On a side note i think for
>an Embedded Systems class final project I may connect my Type-5 to the
>ps/2 port on my pc :)

That is exactly why I dislike the Windows keys. Unlike the command keys on Mac
and Amiga keyboards, which are used for keyboard shortcuts, the Windows keys
are bound to absolutely useless features such as the Start button or the popup
menus. Shortcuts are instead addressed as always, using Ctrl and Alt. Alt is
for alternate characters in my world, and Control is for telnet sessions and
control characters.

>On a side note, anyone know how, in XFree86, to make a key act as the
>"compose" key on a Type-5 does? Makes typing accents a lot more fun :)

Dead keys (and Alt) are for typing accents.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

PDA's are great too. Just love wordprocessing, surfing, e-mailing, midi, video
editing, typing and gaming on a pad no bigger than a piece of toilet paper,
with no keyboard, a crap screen and a stylus that's more useful for picking
your arse, no decent speaker, all for the price of a decent modern PC.   --
Anonymous