[rescue] Anal-Retentiveness and Source Code

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Feb 8 09:09:07 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > Thats why I only use SFWgcc long enough to *recompile* gcc from source.
>
> How hard is this to do?  I'm working on getting Solaris images (having
> trouble getting the CD images to the wintel machine with the burner) for a
> machine that I want to colocate.  I've always been under the impression that
> fairly deep magic was needed to compile gcc.

I did it once.  You just basically follow all the instructions to the
letter.  I actually have been doing some compiles lately and built my own
openssl and openssh using Forte C/C++ 6.2.  It seemed to work okay,
however the compile had bunches of warnings.... only a few more than the
gcc version I built for comparison.  So does anyone know if Forte produces
better and faster code on average?  I am currently using the gcc version
because I used build-pkg and I wanted to go back and add other
authentication and configuration options plus prngd.

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.