[rescue] Re: CRAY-2 coolant

Stuart Johnson sej at mail.gofast.net
Thu Feb 7 11:40:47 CST 2002

The cooling liquid in a CRAY-2 is a 3M product called Flourinert. It
turned out to be less than inert - when a module arced in the tank the
byproduct turned out to be phosgene gas. This is what precipitated the
redesign of the coolant resevoir from four interconnected cylinders to
the waterfall.

We supposedly had a sales rep that would drink a glass of Flourinert
as part of his sales presentation to demonstrate how safe it was. I ran
in to one of the 3M product engineers once who stated that he would not
recommend doing that... In the late 1960's, 3M used to run an ad on TV
that showed mice breathing oxygenated Flourinert.

As far as noise was concerned, they were not quiet. There were a 400Mhz
motor generator set and the coolant pumps located in the mechanical
room. Hearing protection was mandatory.
--
   -Stuart Johnson
    sej at gofast.net