[rescue] There is a reason I moved from central PA

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Feb 6 18:43:30 CST 2002

> Store customer Lance Sellers said he was shocked by the sign and said that
> when he approached the store manager, the manager asked why it was
> offensive.
>
> Paula Harris of the area chapter of the NAACP said the sign reinforces
> racist stereotypes.
>
> "Not all African Americans eat fried chicken, greens and chitlins," Harris
> said. "We like salad, roast beef, low-fat chicken, just like everybody
> else."

So who's the racist?  I find nothing racist about offering fried chicken for
sale in honor of Black History month.  My thought is, "ooooo! Fried chicken,
on sale!"  I actually had to google for the reference to fried chicken to
find out why it might be considered racist and promotional of black
stereotypes.

I personally feel that the person who complained and got onto the news has
done more to promote stereotypes than the store manager and his chicken
sale.

I eat fried chicken, and greens - but I won't touch chitlins...

Kurt