[rescue] Personal Progressions

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 6 14:29:28 CST 2002

Ah heck, I'll throw in my inputs.
First video game console: Never owned one...unless my old
	CoCo counted.  It could do "logo" and such, though,
	so I think not.
First computer used: Played "golf" on a Navy computer in
	Charleston SC circa 1974.  The tractor-feed paper
	tty printed the ground/grass conditions and how
	far you were from the hole for each stroke, and
	your sole input was what club you wanted to use.
	At the time, this was damn exciting.
First computer owned: Gateway 2000 386/20 (only paid
	$2800 for it in 1989--what a steal!)
First computer that I really got into: Radio Shack TRS-80
	model 1, which we upgraded from Level I/4K to
	Level II/48K (woohoo!).  We even had a 5.25" disk
	which we used with "flippy floppies"--take a single
	sided single density floppy and a hole puncher, and
	make it into a double-sided floppy...
First Sun used: Sun 3/50 (monochrome), 1988
First SPARC owned: SPARC 10
First SMP machine: SPARC 10, 2xSM41
First root account on a "real" system:  Two Intergraphs
	and a Sun 386i in 1990.
Biggest machine with an account: IBM 3090VF in college,
	several somewhat-studly systems since, right now
	a low-end E3000.
Smallest machine: Timex Sinclair 1000 (I still prefer
	the Tandy 100 tho...)
First Unix: 4.3 Tahoe BSD
Favorite GUI network app before the web: either xtank,
	xtrek, or xshoot...tough to tell.  1989, in any case,
	back when I had good net access and plenty of
	time to screw around.
First used 'net: 1988 (when undergrads first got Usenet
	posting access...I don't count dial-up stuff before
	that.)