[rescue] SS10/20 death

Guy Yasko gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp
Wed Feb 6 09:53:38 CST 2002

    Kurt> On 6 Feb 2002, Guy Yasko wrote:
    >> that's about how long it takes with my r4400 200mhz indy.
    >> 18hrs or so with an r10000 indigo2.  apparently the setiathome
    >> application is not terribly optimised for mips, and since the
    >> seti folks are dead set against letting you compile on your own
    >> there's not a whole lot to do about it.

    Kurt> I got fed up with Seti at home when I read about the real
    Kurt> reasons they don't want optimized clients.  They don't have
    Kurt> enough data to give out to keep up with all the interested
    Kurt> people.  If they made the client faster, it would get worse.
    Kurt> So they leave the very unoptimized code out there.

kinda figured that was the reason.  still you have to admit that seti
is successful in capturing the imagination of a lotta folks, my wife
being one of them.  personally, i think the whole premise is whacked;
the project is set up to find extra-terrestrial earthlings, but by
definition, all the earthlings are here already.  (unless you believe
in the elohim, dr. funkenstein, or similar) it may not be the best
use for a machine, especially a mips based one, but it's still
harmless fun, and you can't blame the people at seti for not wanting
to lose their jobs, grant money, or whatever.

finally, i think it's more amusing to have ridiculously slow unit
times.  anyone with a lot of money can rack up distributed computing
stats.  going slow requires flair.

ciao,

g.y.

Guy Yasko -- gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp

Is it 1974?  What's for SUPPER?  Can I spend my COLLEGE FUND in one
wild afternoon??