[rescue] SS10/20 death

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Feb 6 08:27:47 CST 2002

On 6 Feb 2002, Guy Yasko wrote:

> that's about how long it takes with my r4400 200mhz indy.  18hrs or so
> with an r10000 indigo2.  apparently the setiathome application is not
> terribly optimised for mips, and since the seti folks are dead set
> against letting you compile on your own there's not a whole lot to do
> about it.

I got fed up with Seti at home when I read about the real reasons they
don't want optimized clients.  They don't have enough data to give
out to keep up with all the interested people.  If they made the
client faster, it would get worse.  So they leave the very unoptimized
code out there.

Ugh.

--Kurt