[rescue] Solaris 8 Differences

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Feb 5 16:39:16 CST 2002

[ On Tuesday, February 5, 2002 at 01:25:01 (-0500), Patrick Giagnocavo wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Solaris 8 Differences
>
> I hauled about 4000lbs of cargo + myself in a 1988 Dodge minivan once.
>
> the tires were just about touching the wheel wells...and I kept it
> at about 70mph all through Brantford, Hamilton, etc.

You're very very very lucky.  They don't print those little GVWR
stickers on the driver's door for nothing....  I'd guess you were at
least twice over its rated carrying limit.  If you'd have pulled into
any operating weigh station to find your curb weight (I think you can
sometimes get away with doing that in a small truck/van so long as
they're not busy with big trucks) you'd have been pulled off the road
immediately, and they might even have insisted on you towing your van
(empty) to a shop for a frame alignment and integrity check.

I was worried about carrying 1800lbs plus passengers from Ottawa back to
Toronto, even though my truck's rated for a total of 2100lbs of cargo
(provided you can distribute it properly).  We ended up going in a
colleague's 2-year old GMC Yukon (which has a max GVWR higher than mine
though we never did find out what its "empty" curb weight is).

--
								Greg A. Woods