[rescue] SS10/20 death

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Feb 5 10:20:46 CST 2002

On February 5, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> Are these actually dual 100MHz Hypersparcs (will
> normally have a single very large heatsink) or
> are they the older 40MHz SM100s (six individual
> chips)?  If they're the latter then they're really
> only of value to someone with a barebones 6x0MP.
> The SM100s are dog slow.  If you have a part number
> it's easy to look up.

  I beg to differ...if they're SM100s they're of value to *nobody*
except the misinformed.  For any mbus machine, there are far, far
better processors that cost about as much as a meal at a fast-food
restaurant.  SM41s come to mind.

> did fry something, but that seems unusual.  The
> only MBus CPU I had with bent pins just caused
> POST/boot failure--and it was an SM100.  Then again,
> I may just have gotten lucky.

  You were lucky.  I've had lots of mbus modules with bent pins that
caused powerup test failures.

> some possibility that a fuse on the MB might have
> blown--maybe someone else on the list knows the right
> place to look.

  I don't think there are any mbus power fuses on the SS10 or SS20.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire