[rescue] SS10/20 death

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 5 09:56:02 CST 2002

Brent--
Are these actually dual 100MHz Hypersparcs (will
normally have a single very large heatsink) or
are they the older 40MHz SM100s (six individual
chips)?  If they're the latter then they're really
only of value to someone with a barebones 6x0MP.
The SM100s are dog slow.  If you have a part number
it's easy to look up.

Whether the new Ross CPUs are worth anything or
not, take a look at the underside MBus connector--
you may have one where two pins are shorted together
or a pin is bent.  It's possible that you really
did fry something, but that seems unusual.  The
only MBus CPU I had with bent pins just caused
POST/boot failure--and it was an SM100.  Then again,
I may just have gotten lucky.

I would suggest taking either the 10 or 20, removing
all non-essential SBus cards/memory, making sure
the remaining cards/memory were well seated, and then
trying again.  Other than that suggestion, there's
some possibility that a fuse on the MB might have
blown--maybe someone else on the list knows the right
place to look.

The only other thing I can think is that if those
really *are* HyperSPARCs, then you might not have
a recent enough PROM revision--but that wouldn't
explain why you now can't boot the systems with
an SM61/71.  In fact, a system that can handle an
SM71 should also be able to handle a 100MHz HyperSPARC
IIRC.  I'm hoping that it's just a question of getting
the CPU and/or memory properly seated.

  Good Luck!
  --Rip