[rescue] Re: Way OT: Never trust Best Buy.

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Feb 3 04:19:09 CST 2002

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 04:40:44AM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > Weird, the only info about atf_restore that I am able to find on
> > Google seems to indicate it is an NT command.
>
> oh, great.  this is GREAT.

I didn't search IBM.com - if you are lucky someone has written up a
red book on AIX and FC and made it available.

> > You might try the links that Google returns anyways.  One of the docs
> > says you have to wait a minute or more before it gets recognized.
>
> atf_restore seems to send a message to something (maybe the driver) and tells
> it to get out of failover mode.  it tells me to check the status with the atfi
> command or the error logs.  neither the error logs or atfi give me anything
> useful from what i can tell.  it doesn't hurt that i have no idea what i'm
> looking for.

How configurable is the switch itself?  Are there settings on the old
switch that need to be transferred to the new one, like with a serial
connection to the console?  Like for instance manageable ethernet
switches that let you set up per-port config details.

> anything useful.  the monkeys at EMC have been of NO USE whatsoever.

Your calls are taking them away from either

a) formatting a normal Seagate SCSI drive over and over until they
feel comfortable shipping it to the customer and charging big bucks
for doing so

b) picking their noses

c) playing Everquest in hopes of being able to sell their character on
eBay.

etc.

./patrick