[rescue] Re: SPARCstation 20

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Feb 2 14:46:20 CST 2002

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Of course, PCs seem to be the worst.  Just try to find a machine that allows
> you to add a nice graphics card (requiring 2 slots), a FC-AL card, an ethernet
> card, a nice video card (a loaded Perception requires 3 slots), a pro level
> sound card, an internal scsi card.

I have a few of these. There's a quad processor 450GX box on my coffee
table with (IIRC) 6 PCI slots on two bridged PCI buses, and 4 EISA slots.
I'd do EISA SCSI (AHA-274x) and maybe EISA ethernet, PCI QFE, etc... the
Netframe SYR2 I have at work would probably take a few slots too.

If you're serious about this sort of listing, and not just being
ostentatious, just go with a PCI backplane and a single board computer.
Admittedly you'd probably be limited to two processors with that setup,
but it's probably the easiest way without building your own from the
traces up.

Of course it is MAJOR overkill for what Julius was asking about, as were
all of your examples. :)

J: I was wondering what would be the minimum single-processor SPARC
J: machine that you would use as a single-headed X workstation under
J: NetBSD.  Thanks.

I'd do SM51 in SS10 or SS20, or an S5-110 for *average* use. Obviously
you're not going with minimal config if you are producing live video or
processing.

The point someone else made about Alpha was valid... I got an alphastation
250 4/266 with 256MB RAM and video card and cdrom and 2GB hard drive for
$50 last year. Sure, it was an irreproducible deal, but you should be able
to find similar for around $100.

And considering you can get usable Ultra 30s with Creator3d graphics for
about what Memoryx is charging for a 256MB U30 memory kit, you might not
have to go with minimal config. :) I may be buying one back from a
coworker who wants to upgrade to an Ultra 60 soon, so that may go up for
sale in the foreseeable future. Or I might just pull the C3d out of it and
dual-head my U30.

--Rob