[rescue] SPARCstation 20

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Fri Feb 1 19:25:16 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:13:44AM -0500, Nathaniel Grady wrote:
> -- snip - what is usable sun desktop --
>
> If you can survive solaris 2.6 there are a number of fairly cheep 24 bit cards that show up on ebay - the RasterFLEX-HR (what i currently have) is fast enough that the cpu can't feed it fast enough... Those Fujitsu AG-32's (or someting like that - my mind is fuzzy, they take an sbus and mbus slot...) sound nifty but I don't actually have one. I think my RasterFLEX-HR was well under $30 on ebay (well, it was supposed to be a -24, but the HR supports "higher resolution" so i didn't complain :)

the RasterFLEX is a fabulous card.  it's actually 32-bit.  it's got an 8-bit
alpha channel.  great for photoshop work, but sadly they stopped making
photoshop for solaris.  bastards.

AG10E is what you are thinking.  and speaking of which, i just picked up a box
of 10 of them on ebay for real cheap.  i only need 2, and they only work with
32-bit Solaris, so you can't use them on ultra machines.  they are also double
width, so that is a pain in the ass if you want other cards.  if anyone is
interested in these things mail me off list.

> 'course I have a friend who swears by SGI's for desktop machines - do Mips CPU's have better interger units?

doesn't matter.  it's not about the CPU.  it's about that fabulous graphics
hardware.  woo.

-brian