[rescue] Re: More EBay stupidity

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Aug 30 03:39:33 CDT 2002

<<
> Check out the following:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2049618557
>
> Looks like the seller has scrapped a 400MHz Ultra Enterprise 2. Moron!!

Dunno, I've scrapped a couple... bought twice as many single processor
machines as I needed and doubled them up, and then just set the others
aside with body markers on them.

I'm not sure I understand the animosity toward this guy. Are you really
offended that the chassis isn't being used? Or that the cpu has been
removed without authorization from this list? :) Or just that he won't
ship to NZ?

Not everyone who disassembles a system is a moron. I don't think he's
committed any travesty based on what's in the auction listing. For all you
know the board failed but the cpu was still good. That's certainly not a
crime, is it?

Sigh.

Rob

Hi Rob

The seller clearly does not know what the CPU module is, what it is worth,
or whether it works. This does not make him a moron.

The seller does not know the capacity of the RAM (4 x 64MB), what it is
worth (he offers to give it away for free), or whether it works. This does
not make him a moron.

The seller makes reference in his listing to scrapping a U2 system.
Combining the above two points with the general tone of the listing, I
infer that he did not test the system before scrapping it and therefore I
suspect that he has probably killed a working system. If this is the case
then he is a moron.

Of course I may be wrong - perhaps the system had a cracked mainboard, or
perhaps the system had irrepairable damage etc. If that is the case, I
apologise. But if he _has_ killed a working system then I stand behind my
original assertion.

Regards,

Gavin

P.S. I know you're just being a contrarian (-: