[rescue] miss me?

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Wed Aug 28 18:53:08 CDT 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 06:25 PM, Tim H. wrote:
>> It wasn't the content that made me quit following, it was the
>> realization that my unemployed life was starting to revolve around the
>> geeks list, and then the realization of how pathetic that was.
>
>   It's pathetic to be social with one's friends?

Not to put words in Tim's mouth, just to mention my experience.

Often, when I (introverted and geek) am feeling down, I find myself
being more and more withdrawn, and take to being social in my on-line
groups more than in "Real Life".  Unfortunately, it's re-iterative,
and has to be consciously self-corrected.

It's not that I think interacting with my on-line friends is "not
real", it's just that I know that interacting through email and
suck on-line is easier than interacting with people f2f, so I
rationalize that being social on-line is not being withdrawn/
alienating myself.  But I am isolating myself--I'm avoiding
the extroverted world.

My experience is that *lots* of geeks have this problem (and yes
I do count it as a problem--one that I largely don't worry about.
But, for instance right now, it makes it a heck of a lot harder
to find a job, or do the stuff that needs to be done to get a
business started).

Your perspective may be completely different, and that would
suggest to me that your personality type is different from
mine. :-)

=Nadine=