[rescue] miss me?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Aug 28 16:38:28 CDT 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:10:22 -0700 (PDT)
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Low enough freq. will disrupt bodily functions - i.e. in the region of
> 6 Hz... (kinda like a Kate Bush Song too... ;^)

Well it isn't just disrupt, the guy that discovered it almost killed
himself.  ~7 Hz is the resonant frequency of the cellular matrix of the
soft tissues in the human body (brain, unimportant stuff like that)
When subjected to that frequency at sufficient amplitude the cells just
shake apart, turn liquid and flow out the nearest orifice.  7 Hz is
pretty low, you can almost count that fast, and to make a noise like
that at sufficient level to do damage you need a standing wave, so you
pretty much have to be inside.  Outside is just to big to make it
practical.  I have often wondered what would happen if someone created
an explosive device designed to generate a 7Hz shock wave, sort of a
quick roman candle type of device, only bigger, and with a lot more
explosions.  I'll let someone else do the testing :-)

I did hear a frequency sweep once in a large auditorium, and as the
frequency came down you could hear it hit the resonant frequency of
different things in the room, the heaters, etc.  Then he got down to the
resonant frequency of the air in the room (actually probably a multiple
of it) and you couldn't hear anything.  It was like the entire room was
breathing at once, it was a physical pressure more than a sound, and it
basically swallowed every other audio vibration in the room.  It was
extremely impressive, and didn't take much audio power to do it. Hmm,
that reminds my I have never hooked my frequency generator to my
stereo....

Darn, I thought this thread moved to geeks.

Tim