[rescue] mmmm power

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Aug 25 22:40:20 CDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 02:05:56AM +0300, Harri Haataja wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 05:50:50PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > >    Mmmm, great big balls.  Oh shit, that's a 9672!  Sridhar has one of
> > > those, it almost killed me when it started rolling and pinned me
> > > against the inside of the truck.  Sridhar has to move his own big
> > > iron now!
> >
> > We've got a few Linux LPARs loaded on a Z47.  In a couple of months
> > we're upgrading to a Freeway box.
>
> IBM (and others actually) being what they are, could someone give a
> ballpark figure of what getting an S/390 of any size generally costs?
>
> As the heist video says, "we put it all on that one. It's gonna save
> us a bundle." I was wondering what it would take to actually start
> saving.

I've heard the base model (with 2 out of 8 processors enabled,
and I don't know the ram or disk space) costs an even $250,000.  I
believe that was from a group of people who got one for running
linux. But I can't find a web reference.  And worse, they have changed
the line around, so the price is probably no longer acurate for a
machine meeting that description anymore.  But, it might be usefull to
you if no body can give anything more current/reliable.

I've heard that used machines of the G3 and G4 vintage are surprisingly
affordable, if you can handle the space/power requirements.

--
Joshua D. Boyd