[rescue] OSs for PA-Risc

Ian McKellar ian at mckellar.org
Thu Aug 15 15:34:53 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 13:57, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 04:50:56PM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > on 8/14/02 4:43 PM, Joshua D Boyd at jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu wrote:
> >
> > > I just noticed that 4.4-Lite and mach have a ready made distro for PA
> > > Risc that supports my 712/80.  Anyone ever tried using it?  The URL is
> > > http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/mach4-parisc/html/pamach.html
> > >
> > > I don't really want to put linux on the thing, and netbsd support looks
> > > crummy.  I could do nextstep, but I don't currently have the space to
> > > have it setup as a user workstation.  I've never actually used a Mach
> > > setup, and find the idea somewhat appealing...  They say it is
inactive,
> > > and not all that usefull though...
> > And Next-Step runs sweet on it as well.
>
> Yeah, I got a copy of the install CDs from someone who will remain
> nameless for archival reasons (thanks!).  Originally I intended for the
> machine to be a nextstep box, hooked to a monitor, used as an actual
> workstation, perhaps even used as my main workstation until I could get
> a mac.  However monitor compatibility problems (I have a spare SOG
> monitor that still refuses to work with it), software problems (it
> wasn't happy about booting from the Plextor you sold me even though
> every other machine loves that drive), and deskspace issues (turns out
> that to set up a new workstation will mean taking down an existing one
> at this point) have kept me from going the nextstep route.

The problem I had with NeXTStep on PA Risc is that the gcc on there was
really really out of date and I wasn't able to port more recent gccs to
the platform. Porting gcc seems to be black magic. Anyway, I wasn't able
to get openssl and hence openssh building on the box so it wasn't much
use to me :(

Ian

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]