[rescue] OSs for PA-Risc

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Aug 14 15:57:33 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 04:50:56PM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> on 8/14/02 4:43 PM, Joshua D Boyd at jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu wrote:
>
> > I just noticed that 4.4-Lite and mach have a ready made distro for PA
> > Risc that supports my 712/80.  Anyone ever tried using it?  The URL is
> > http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/mach4-parisc/html/pamach.html
> >
> > I don't really want to put linux on the thing, and netbsd support looks
> > crummy.  I could do nextstep, but I don't currently have the space to
> > have it setup as a user workstation.  I've never actually used a Mach
> > setup, and find the idea somewhat appealing...  They say it is inactive,
> > and not all that usefull though...
> And Next-Step runs sweet on it as well.

Yeah, I got a copy of the install CDs from someone who will remain
nameless for archival reasons (thanks!).  Originally I intended for the
machine to be a nextstep box, hooked to a monitor, used as an actual
workstation, perhaps even used as my main workstation until I could get
a mac.  However monitor compatibility problems (I have a spare SOG
monitor that still refuses to work with it), software problems (it
wasn't happy about booting from the Plextor you sold me even though
every other machine loves that drive), and deskspace issues (turns out
that to set up a new workstation will mean taking down an existing one
at this point) have kept me from going the nextstep route.

--
Joshua D. Boyd