[rescue] Bunch of free/cheap stuff to sell/trade/give away [mostly Sun]

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 20 08:47:37 CDT 2002

> > [...]  I have an MGX+ which (copying the 32-bit
> > drivers for 2.6 over to later versions) runs 24-bit and reasonably
> > fast (much faster than S24) under Solaris 7 and 8.  Similar can
> > be done with the Fujitsu AG10E IIRC.  [...]
> I wonder if you could give me details of this? I've got a pair of
> AG-10es I'd love to use in ky SS20 running Sol8.

Hmm.  The sequence is roughly:
1.  Find drivers for old version of OS (either included with Solaris
    or download from the 'net)
2.  Figure out where they're supposed to go on $OLD_OS_VERSION
3.  (some things to make 4. easier or more reliable) Consider
    getting the board up-and-running under the last supported OS
    version, if you haven't already, to make sure the board works.
    Also, try to ensure that you have serial console and/or network
    login available, since there's a good chance that the video will
    be somewhat disfunctional under $NEW_OS until things are tweaked.
4.  Install $NEW_OS_VERSION, put the drivers in the correct place[1],
    reboot.  Pray loudly and regularly.  Tweak until It Works (for
    the MGX+, it displayed video the first time, but still defaulted
    to 8-bit color until I tweaked settings in some config file.)

I have done this for the MGX+, and IIRC have it on Reliable Report that
it works for the AG10E as well.  I also have a step-by-step document
I wrote up for myself back in the office (and a complete copy of
relevant portions of the support website for the MGX+) that might be
a more thorough discussion.  I'll try to find it tonight when I'm
temporarily back in the office.

Anyone who's actually done this with a AG10E want to speak up?  I
don't think Big Mike N. is reading the lists anymore....   =8-(
and I think he may have been my Reliable Report.

  --Rip

[1] "put them in the correct place" could be 1.  Install a Solaris
    package with the drivers 2.  Untar the drivers into some appropriate
    place 3.  Open up the Solaris installable package and look at
    the contents, then figure out where they go, or many other
    possibilities.  For the MGX+ all one needs to do is force the
    package to install.