[rescue] 3 O2s

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Fri Aug 16 03:55:21 CDT 2002

At 01:13 AM 16/08/2002 -0500, Joshua wrote:
>What I want to know is which is faster.  A headless r10k o2, or a
>headless r10k Indigo2, disk speed, ram capacity, and CPU clock held
>constant of course.  We all know that the r10k Octane is best of all.
>Faster ram, faster scsi, etc.

An excellent question indeed!  Unfortunately R10k O2s seem to rate quite
low on the rescue-o-meter unlike R5ks, I2s and Octanes.  Gut instinct would
say the I2, but having never seen either in the flesh (plastic?) who am I
to talk.

>I seem to love the O2 more than anyone else here.

Rubbish.  You're probably most likely to utilize it to the best of it's
manufacturers' intentions, but I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

>I'd tell them, "Unless you are intent on getting and using
>the O2 AV module, an Octane will serve you better for barely anything
>more."

Well having had an Octane on the same table as the O2 for a few days, I'd
probably agree with you there.  Given the way the Octanes have been rating
on the rescue-o-meter recently, you'd be (almost) mad not to get one.

>Ideally, I'd have several of both machines.

I'd like an Origin of some shape, form or description.  The high-end
graphics of the SGI workstations are probably a waste on me.

Rob.