[rescue] RE: Sun serial cable pinout question (null modem)

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Aug 15 22:39:52 CDT 2002

Leslie said:

<<
This seems to be the pinout rosetta stone resource... its all there

http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/index.html

http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/A-B-Ycablepinout.html

Heh

I wired up a 2-3, 3-2, 7-7 DB25-DB9 cable last night. I couldn't establish
a  connection out of it so I did some more research.

It appears that a DB9 cable has reversed assignments for TxD and RxD. So a
DB25-DB9 null-modem cable for connecting a Sun Ultra 2 to a PC without flow
control is actually:

2-2
3-3
7-7

You can also connect 1-1 if you want to connect the two chassis grounds.

Of course you can always just go and buy a pre-made cable o-:

Regards,

Gavin