[rescue] 3 O2s

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Fri Aug 16 01:20:44 CDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 02:12:13AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 09:06:08AM +0300, Harri Haataja wrote:
> > And an R10k or 12k won't be as fast as they are in other systems.
> > They just don't mix very well.
> What I want to know is which is faster.  A headless r10k o2, or a
> headless r10k Indigo2, disk speed, ram capacity, and CPU clock held
> constant of course.  We all know that the r10k Octane is best of all.
> Faster ram, faster scsi, etc.

Hmm. That might be tricky and depends on some things. Since it's going
headless you can probably cut graphics stuff out. That leaves UW scsi on
O2 and SE on I2, UMA on O2, bus on I2, pci on O2 eisa on I2 etc.

http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/o2i2comp.html  Is just about this but
may not answer exactly that question.

> I seem to love the O2 more than anyone else here.  But if anyone would
> ask me, I'd tell them, "Unless you are intent on getting and using the
> O2 AV module, an Octane will serve you better for barely anything
> more."

Yes. And the prices are way down on octanes now.

> Ideally, I'd have several of both machines.

As usual :-)