[rescue] Apple HW Rumors

Big Endian biggie at 3geeks.org
Mon Aug 12 16:21:29 CDT 2002

>  > >Cutting the Xserve pricing would be a good idea.  If they came out in
>>  >a few months with a lowend rackmount, single-CPU, box for $1,000 that
>>  >would be great.
>>
>>  Only if they get OS X server capable of booting off of a RAID
>>  partition (1,4,5, anything but 0).  Having the desktops bootable
>>  off of RAID would be nice, too, but it's pretty well a requirement
>>  for servers.
>>
>Booting off of a Hardware RAID disk via a PCI adapter or a SCSI-SCSI RAID
>box (Like a DAC960SX or a standalone array) would work just fine, no
>machine should be able to tell that it's not just one big disk.

The issue is the OS X software raid.  Yes they should be running
hardware but thats not the issue George, now play nice.

>I think even sometning like one of the HW IDE Raid cards would boot just
>fine, provided you could get it configured in the first place without a
>PeeCee BIOS level access.  Perhaps if you put it in an intel box and
>configured it first, then moved it and the drives into a Mac, and then
>formatted it for Mac use...

Macs also have to have Mac boot firmware on the card to make it boot
a mac.  Since macs are OF, that means having FORTH code to drive it.
Unfortunately the code needed on suns is different than the code
needed on macs so you can't share.

daniel